The Blob

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Katrina’s Outcasts

Of the many sad and miraculous stories resulting from Hurricane Katrina, myriad tales abound about the animals left behind. In many cases, it was the instincts of cats, dogs and birds that saved the lives of their owners. But in the first wave of evacuations, the animals were left behind. I don’t want to even think of what terrible and heartbreaking sights rescuers have seen as a result.

But I am grateful to the selfless efforts of organizations like Noah’s Wish, a non-profit organization whose aim is to create a Red Cross for animals. Click on this link for a wonderful story on the MSNBC Web site on what they have done to rescue countless pets left behind in the wake of Katrina. Volunteers from across the country have pitched in to create shelters for deserving animals. In my mind, man is no better than any other species, and from what I have experienced, I question if we are even the equal of other animals either.

I’ve given a lot to the Red Cross following this disaster. You can be sure I’ll be giving to organizations like Noah’s Wish, Best Friends, North Shore Animal League, ASPCA and the Humane Society. I hope you will too. For the sake of Katrina’s outcasts, I hope you will as well. For a list of organizations helping to rescue and provide veterinary help and shelter to animals left behind from Katrina, click here (be sure to scroll down for the full list of wonderful groups providing help).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home