The Blob

Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Here's to you, Dad.

If only my father could have seen this. He loved to make diary entries. He loved sharing his thoughts and his writing with others. And he was a man who always had something to say. If only he could have lived a few more years to see this day, imagine what what might have been. It's one of the reasons I am doing this, in part to honor my father.

There's no guarantee that what I write today will survive into tomorrow. In fact, the archive quality of digital media may not last as long as something written in pen or pencil on paper, and surely, no where as long as words or symbols chiseled into stone. But the legacy of the blog could well be that stories and memories are passed along. To think that successive generations let their best ideas and memories die with them is sad. Perhaps even tragic. It is better to learn the lessons of the past by reading them and acting on these than to repeat the mistakes of the past instead. Perhaps now, we have a chance.

As I continue my entries, I will keep the memory of my father in mind. Perhaps I can have something to say that embodies even a sliver of his brilliance. That would be a satisfying thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home