The Blob

Sunday, November 14, 2004

My worst nightmare

For all our mania to protect the US from another devastating al Queda attack, what I cannot understand is our complete reticence to defend our borders with Canada and especially Mexico. If you live in California, like I do, you may share my frustration with the literal invasion from the south. Please let me make this clear: I'm not prejudiced against latinos. But I am deeply concerned with the complacency by the federal government (and that means both Republican and Democratic politicians alike, including the Bush administration) to let millions of illegal aliens continue to stream into the US. It not only saps our economy and makes a mockery of our laws, it poses a much more dangerous problem: nuclear terrorism.

Want proof? Then you'll want to read a chilling story in Time Magazine about new accounts from al-Qaeda to attack the U.S. with weapons of mass destruction, by smuggling a nuclear weapon into the United States via the porous Mexican border. Intelligence from captured al-Qaeda operatives show that this is a key objective of Osama bin Laden. I also read an account that the CIA found that bin Laden had sought, and received, blessing by Islamic religious authorities to use nuclear weapons against America.

When are we going to wake up? After it's too late? Our borders are poorly defended. A dark future is inevitable only if we allow it to be. And seemingly opposing forces, from Mexican la Mecha extremists, to laissez-faire liberals, all the way to Wall Street big business interests on the other end of the spectrum, are influencing the government to do little or nothing. I pray we can thwart a nightmare. But if we fail, we may be as much to blame in some respects for our own selfishness as the unthinkably evil muslim extremists who are trying as I write this to make such a nightmare a reality.

I do hope I'm wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home