The Blob

Tuesday, September 17, 2002

Okay, say it again slowly so I can understand

Is it just me, or is everyone in the US of A forgetting how to speak English? No, I'm not talking about the wealth of foreign languages spoken here. I won't even go there. I'm talking about really deadly foreign languages: Corporatespeak. Businesstalk. MBASpeak. Jargonese. Acronymus non interruptus.

You know who you are.

Here's an example. I just got an e-mail at work with the following text inserted:

Clarification: It was NOT our intention that the project for OB be used in lieu of the usual panels, etc. The panels are for referring the IW to centers for medical treatment. I believe that since MN is an MCO state (only 4 MCO's certified in the state), if the employers of OB participate in an MCO arrangement.

Huh?

So let me get this straight: you want me to talk to OB about MN and make sure that it is an MCO state with PPOs and HMOs using IT for IW, OK?

What? You didn't understand that? I don't either.

And that's just the point. We don't speak English anymore. It's all this corporatespeak. Jargon. Abbreviations. Technogibberish. Stuff only a select few understand. Are we trying to exclude everyone else? Or create a society where people are annointed as high priests for the secret language that they know?

I don't think it's too much to ask that we speak in something approaching plain English. It's getting pretty scary out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home