The Blob

Thursday, December 26, 2002

For the most part, a complete waste of time.

I've just spent 50 minutes of my life exploring other people's blogs. Here's what I observed:

1. About 50 percent of the blogs are by 16 year old girls who cannot write a sentence without using exclamation points to end each one.
2. Blogs by teens are not written in anything approaching English. I had hoped that the Internet, e-mail and IMing would make Gen X and Gen Y more literate; sad to say, just the opposite has resulted. I'm removed one generation from people who write in abbreviations and jargon. Sad.
3. There is amazing growth in foreign language blogs. This is good. Much of it is poetry. It suggests that American kids have something to learn. Too bad I lack more foreign language skills.
4. Most of the blogs that focus on political rants and punditry are decidedly liberal.
5. Quite a few of the blogs I stopped by are personal at best and typically, hopelessly banal and downright boring.

That's not to say that I'm the last word in blogging. Far from it. But it's interesting to peer in on what others are saying. But based on what I've read, there's not much to reward your effort. Too bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home