The Blob

Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Michael and Me

Michael Moore. Author, filmmaker, political activist. Love him or hate him. I have been both amused and outraged by his antics and opinions. Never afraid of making a fool of himself to pursue his own ends, Michael Moore did so at the recent Academy Awards when he used the occasion to lambaste President Bush. Some might cheer what he said, declaring the moment as an act of patriotic defiance. Others, including myself were not surprisingly outraged. I knew that Michael Moore would use his 45 seconds to polarize the world.

Taking the stage to accept his award, Moore spoke out:

"I've invited my fellow nominees on the stage with us, and they are here in solidarity with me because we like nonfiction. We like nonfiction and we live in fictitious times. We live in a time when we have fictitious election results that elect a fictitious president," said Moore, who was greeted with both booing and cheering. "We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons, whether it's the fictition (sic) of duct tape or the fictition (sic) of orange alerts, we are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush! Shame on you!"

Personally, I was outraged, but hardly surprised. It's what I figured Michael Moore would probably do. But I didn't like it. So I propose a solution: If you feel that Moore was out of line, let him know how you feel. Send Michael a roll of duct tape.

Note: To learn more about Michael Moore, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home