The Blob

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Memo to George

Okay, you won me over. I agree with you. Your speech last night was so very you: short and to the point. My hope is that common sense will prevail and 32 hours from now, Mr. Hussein, his families and cronies flee for the promised safety of asylum in Saudi Arabia. I'm sure Idi Amin lives quite comfortably there. As for you, George, I want you to worry. I want you to lose sleep. I want your conscience to be tested. You are about to unleash Hell (see my blog below), and with it, the fate of the lives of many young men and women of our armed forces, along with countless innocent lives, are on the line. Could we not have sent in hit men instead?

I agree with you. But war is a very blunt and crude way of removing a small number of people.

I worry too, that you are too emotionally invested in this. You have every reason to be angry that Saddam tried to assassinate your father. Yes, he is despicable in every way. But you have to consider that leaders like yourself are often not in control of events you set into motion. Consider the case of Mikhail Sergeevich Gorbachev. He tried to reform the Soviet Union, and instead led to its demise, which, in my opinion, was the best of all possible outcomes. My point here is that once the genie is let out of the bottle, there's no way you can go back. The same is true for the events that may unfold as a result. Instead of a modern day Crusade or Pax Americana, the events that could take place beginning in the next few days could set into motion a chain of other events, from ethnic cleansing by the Kurds, to growing influence by Iran over the region, to an outbreak of terrorism for a long time to come.

We have drawn our line in the sand. We are committed. And I agree that we can't let the forces of darkness fester and grow. But do be careful in understanding that what lies ahead will be anything but simple. The future will likely be your greatest test. I wish you well in this tremendous challenge. It will define your legacy and shape the lives of millions.

Let's roll. Let's pray. And let's hope that as a result of this, that we'll come out on the other side with a better world. Just know that it won't be easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home