The Blob

Wednesday, September 18, 2002

You can learn a lot from a pet

It's amazing how we tend to ignore our pets. After all, they're just animals, right? And we're big, smart humans. Um, no. I don't believe that at all. Say what you will about how humans can walk on two feet, have opposable thumbs and can do the New York Times crosswords. But when I think of humans, I think of our deceit, our conceit, our greed and lack of apparent ethics. Let me boil this down into some words you may understand: Ken Lay. Dennis Koslowski. Osama bin Laden. All of a sudden, Java the Cat and Shadow the Dog start to look pretty smart.

I know mine does. The sad thing is, most of us take what animals can offer us for granted. Sure, your pet is a good friend, a fun diversion, and makes you look more proper with the neighbors. But so does your car or furniture.

No, I'm talking about something much more. Think about it: who is more loyal to you than your dog or your cat? Who thinks of you as the most important person in the world? Who will love you through thick and thin? Who would not lie to you? Take it from me: it won't be Leona Helmsley.

That's why I pay a lot of attention to Java, my little Ocicat. She never lies to me. She's taught me the value of dedication, of responsibility, of taking time to play, of not taking life too seriously, and the value of getting enough sleep. Trust me, nobody knows the art and value of long naps more than a cat.

Cats and dogs don't lie. They always find a way to be happy. They don't need fancy things to keep them entertained - a tennis ball, a straw or a piece of string will do nicely. A little attention would not hurt. And taking time for love, for play and for remembering each other is what is important to them.

Taken that way, there's a lot we can learn from our four-legged friends. They might look simple to you, but in my way of thinking, they have never forgotten the important things that we have. Instead of retreating to the couch, they beg us to go outside. Instead of turning inward, they encourage us to socialize. Instead of being grouchy in the morning, they're totally excited about every new day.

So who's smarter? Man or beast? No doubt about it. There's a lot we can learn from our pets. If we did, maybe the world wouldn't be in the sorry state that it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home