The Blob

Friday, January 03, 2003

To the moon, Alice.

Norton.That word really pickles my beets. In its collective IT (that's Information Technology for you non-geeks) wisdom, our corporate ubergeeks decreed that we needed to change over from McAfee, the anti-virus program we've been using to Symantec Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition. It would be very simple, they told us - when we logged in this week, an automated script would do the uninstall/installation of Norton, and after that, our corporate workers' paradise would become The Happiest Place On Earth.

If you believe that, I've got some Enron stock I'd like to sell you.

Instead, it turned into the installation from Hell. I tried at least a dozen times and kept getting this nifty "Error 1920." (That's what I love about Windows - error codes are so very understandable. It's the kind of thing that only a polyester-shirt dweeb could love.) I then sought help from some of the folks in IT support. Two days passed and attempts by two different people failed. We tried taking my laptop off the network, and even logged in with the IT people's own administrator passwords.

Nothing worked.

About 40 attempts and two days later, we finally got Norton installed. And I'm the lucky one. Apparently, some others running Windoze 98 have had their machines totally hosed. And Norton is by Symantec, one of the largest software companies around. Go figure. Something is definitely rotten in Denmark.

Which leads me to an idea. I'm going to start my own software company and create a new product, The Kramden Utilities. That way, if Norton gets outta line, Bang! Zoom!

Maybe now you understand why I use a Mac at home. It just plain works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home